1. Paint works wonders and a lighter shade on the walls will instantly make a room feel brighter. (Click here for favorite white paint shades!)
2. Have plenty of lighting sources. I especially love using floor lamps and sconces in smaller spaces. Layer your lighting when possible!
3. Make ANY window space a focal point! Here in our basement guest room, we moved furniture to highlight the one window well. It allows for more natural light and your eye is immediately drawn to that.
4. Liven up with greenery ~ Adding plants can give the illusion of a bright space because plants need light to thrive.
5. Use mirrors and reflective pieces. I love glass accents and lighting with crystals.
6. Use light furniture and natural elements.
Head over to
Shining on Design blog
for more home decor & design posts!