I’m sharing a few things about why I started this blog, what I love about it, lessons learned, my favorite thing about it and some of my struggles. It’s been just over one year since I started Shining on Design and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. You’ll have to keep reading to find out why!
First, a huge thank you to Lindsay Humes of White Oak Creative who designed this site and has been one the best resources for me when it comes to blogging. This post was actually triggered by a link-up Lindsay created so be sure to check out the other bloggers participating in this too! All links are below. Also, a quick thank you to my sister-in-law, Nicole Regan (Cedar & Rush) who helped me start this blog and has been so supportive since day one!
Why I started blogging
I’ll try to keep this answer as short and sweet as possible. After my first daughter, Taylor, was born, I knew I wanted to make a career change. I had a great position in commercial real estate that some think I was crazy for walking away from. My heart was just in another place and my favorite part of my real estate career was when I had the chance to work on designing the spaces – from new developments, designing show models and spec suites.
I knew that interior design was a path I wanted to pursue but it’s a really scary thing to totally change careers! I had gone back to school after graduating college to study interior design but continued in real estate since I seemed to be doing pretty well. Again, it’s a really scary thing to change careers. Especially with a new baby. I know starting a blog wasn’t a career change, but it was a start.
My priorities changed drastically after having Taylor and time is really too precious to have regrets. So I went for it (after A LOT of contemplation and lists of pros and cons)! I quit my job and I started working with a friend’s interior design company but discovered quickly that our goals and approaches were just too different. So, I decided to get myself “out there” through this blog. Test the waters on my own in a way. I knew starting a blog would open up doors but I had no idea how much.
At first, I was so scared to tell anyone I had a blog. I was mostly scared of being judged. And I still get a little flushed when someone brings up my blog. So why did I start blogging? To sum it up, here are a few of the main reasons I started Shining on Design:
- To share tips, resources and inspiration for home decor and design. I am constantly seeing ideas and finding great sources so having a blog is a place not only share them with my readers, but to reference them myself.
- To connect with others and build a network. Initially this was geared towards connecting with other design professionals and businesses but has since expanded to a larger community. I’d love to focus more on this actually. I believe great things can come from creatives collaborating.
- Have an online presence and build credibility. This blog was a start! I hope to create another website for professional services soon but for now, Shining on Design is my home base.
The amount of support and referrals for design projects since I started Shining on Design has amazed me. I grateful everyday for those that have encouraged me and helped me on this journey.
Why I love blogging and continue to blog
- Remember reason #1 above? Having this blog is a great way to document these resources and ideas! I am the type of person that loves lists. I don’t know what I would do sometimes with the “notes” app on my iphone. I need to write things down and save them. This blog is a perfect way archive a lot of what I find inspirational and helpful. This also keeps me on my toes to keep up with the latest trends in interior design.
- On a personal note, I also started this blog shortly after moving out of the city (over an hour drive away from friends and family) which is another reason blogging was a great way for me to stay connected. We’re moving closer to the city this weekend btw! I’m currently 9 months pregnant now with our 2nd baby so wish us luck!
The referrals and support I have received since starting Shining on Design has been a huge upside of starting this blog BUT my favorite thing about blogging? I feel it has boosted my own creativity and pushes me to explore ideas in a deeper way. I have found that I look at some things a little differently. This ties into this blog and interior design.
I’ll admit I have a lot of lessons to still learn but a few things that I have found helpful have been:
- Every post does not have to be “perfect” (and they won’t be!). The most important part for me is to post things I am truly interested in. I’ve put pressure on myself to do other types of posts and it just doesn’t work for me.
- It’s okay to stray from typical blog topics. My original goal was to have a blog dedicated entirely to interior design but that really doesn’t appeal to my readers ALL the time. Some of my top posts have actually had nothing to do with design! And that is OK. Staying true to writing about what inspires me is what this blog is all about.
- Quality over quantity. I believe this to be true in design, life and blogging.
“DESIGN QUESTION?” I’m also starting a new column where you can send me your design questions and I answer (for free!). YOU can ask me anything design related and I’ll be answering them through a blog post. So if you are wondering where to find a great deal on lamps, what size rug to get, alternative ideas for your dining room, ANYTHING – Ask away!
Please share in the comments or send me a note. I would really appreciate it and hope to hear from you soon!
Blogger Link-up links: